Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dhyana Yoga - Rittenhouse area

Last Sunday I went to Dhyana Yoga for a Kundalini class. Here's the breakdown of what it was like:

Where: 1737 Chestnut Street

What kind of yoga: Kundalini (but they also have Vinyasa classes)

What to expect: The Kundalini practice is done with your eyes closed. The teacher, Dhyana, likened it to swimming - which was a helpful analogy for me. There were times I needed to open my eyes to orient myself, but it did help me stay inwardly focused. The emphasis was strongly on breathing, especially "breath of fire" which my abs weren't accustomed to. The movements are different than Hatha yoga practices, but felt very energizing. While I didn't feel like it was a tremendous workout during the class, I did feel my hamstrings the next day.

The best part: The focus on your chakras. If you're not used to this kind of practice, it might seem like hocus pocus, but I enjoyed the chanting and the emphasis on moving energy through your body.

The worst part: This is a style of yoga that might offend fitness buffs. Living on sunlight for 411 days is okay by me, but I know there are some that would go running for the hills at the very thought.

No comments: