Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bliss Yoga at the Print Center

For the last two Mondays I've been attending a restorative class at the Print Center. It's like the best night's sleep you've ever had. I've rarely gone to restorative classes before, and now I wish there were more of them around the city.

Where: The Print Center (may be private - by special invitation only)

What type of yoga: Svaroopa or Bliss yoga

What to expect: The basic idea is that your body opens into support more than it does while working. So all the poses are held for a long time, but the body is fully supported in each pose. I felt like I was in shavasana (or corpse pose) even when doing a lunge - how often does that happen? The teacher, Liz, is a master at alignment and adjustments - every time she adjusts your position, you feel like a new person: taller, stronger, faster and able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.

The worst part: Can't think of a bad part of this class. Very nurturing.

The best part: You leave with that feeling that you've had a full-body massage. I want to learn how to do this style of yoga on my own... and for other people. Everyone needs this in their lives.

No comments: